Give Me An On-Call

Since rotating onto this current placement on the first Wednesday in October, I have been rotated only to normal working days. Gone is the previous Rota Master's fickle torture regime of a single night shift followed by a day shift, followed by a night shift madness. Instead, the new Controller of Spreadsheets appears to group on-calls together in a big lump! It all kicks off next week, when I have a week of long days on-calls, followed by a week of nights on-call, followed by weekend of nights, finishing up with a weekend of days on-call! 

I have surprised myself with the realisation that I am wholeheartedly looking forward to receiving the bleep on Monday morning?!? Despite the higher possibility of getting a lunch break, the feasibility of using the bathroom when you need to, and the ability to get a decent amount of sleep at night that comes with elective work, I find that I do get tiresomely fatigued with day after day of Multi Disciplinary Team Meetings, ward rounds, outpatient clinics and admin!

I probably wont't be feeling like this when I'm simultaneously failing to conduct a ward round of new sick patients, run a CEPOD operating list, review a list of ward referrals and attend a trauma call in A&E...I only hope that whoever the SHO is, they know their way around the hospital because I certainly am still spending a lot of my time wandering around completely lost, and it will be nice to have some poor sod who's job it is to navigate for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When there is just too much trauma!

How to Pick a Subspecialty

Pause...and then whip out the gallbladder